We just thought it would be important to share the Twitter handles of respected journalists in Zimbabwe. For 3 reasons:
- Journalists usually get important news updates ahead of most, especially news of countrywide importance. If you follow them you’ll get important updates early too.
- They also usually take more care to verify things and critically analyse if something makes sense before they spread it. It helps in the fight against dis and misinformation.
- If you come across some news, you can easily @mention them on Twitter to verify or tip them
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of all Zimbabwean journalists or a list of the best journalists in the country. It is a list of those that actively tweet useful news developments. This is work in progress – more journalists will be added as we learn more.
In no particular order:
Politics and General
- @Mathuthu – Mduduzi Mathuthu is veteran journalist and current editor of ZimLive. Known for breaking news, especially Politics and Business
- @gama_stanley – Stanely Gama is the former editor of one of the 3 largest Zimbabwean dailies, The Daily News.
- @shingainyoka – Nyoka is a BBC journalist based in Harare
- @zenzele – Zenzele Ndebele is Bulawayo based journalist and Gukurahundi activist. More on the ground with Matabeleland news than most.
- @kholwaninyathi – Nyathi is a veteran journalist who is currently the Editor of The Standard (an AMH weekly)
- @daddyhope – Hopewell Chin’ono is more a political activist. He, however, does break news from time to time, especially politics.
- @trevorncube – Ncube is a veteran journalist and entrepreneur. He is a major shareholder at AMH which publishes NewsDay, Standard and The Independent. He hosts In Conversation with Trevor on YouTube.
- @EdmundKudzayi – Kudzayi currently operates Kukurigo, a WhatsApp based news organisation. Previously he worked for Zimpapers as an editor.
- @BrezhMalaba – Breshnev Malaba is a senoir journalist who has worked at AMH publications.
- @Musvanhiri – Privilege Musvanhiri is a journalist and media trainer. He contributes to some international publications such as the German publication DW.
- @rangamataire – Ranga Mataire is currently the Deputy Editor at The Herald.
- @nqabamatshazi – Nqaba Matshazi is a prominent journalist with AMH
- @LJaymut10 – Lovejoy Mutongwiza is a photojournalist with 263chat
- @harumutasa – Haru is an Al Jazeera journalist in Zimbabwe. She covers both Zim and Africa news.
- @elias_mambo – Elias Mambo is a former AMH journalist who now operates his own news website, ZimMorningPost.
- @LanceGuma – UK based journalist and editor of NehandaRadio
- @larry_moyo – Founding editor of Zim’s most popular tabloid, H-Metro
- @ZimMediaReview – This account follows and tweets about the coverage of news. Good to follow to get a sense of the important things going on a given day and to be alerted to possible bias by media organisations.
- @bbmhlanga – Blessed Mhalanga is an AMH journalist currently with the group’s Heart and Soul TV Radio
- @happ_zenge – Happiness Zengeni is a financial analyst and business journalist who is currently editor of The Anchor, a business publication she founded.
- @rangamberi – PR practitioner and journalist, also prominent social media commentator. Works for newZWire.
- @nelsonbanya – experienced journalist currently working at ZimFact and newZWire. previously worked at NewsDay, The Source, Fingaz and others
Arts & Entertainment
- @plotmhako – Arts and entertainment journalist.
General (Hard to categorise)
- @RuvhenekoP – Ruvheneko Parirenyatwa is a broadcast and talk-show journalist that has worked for Zimpapers radio station, CapitalkFM, ZiFMStereo and a number of projects that she started.
- @PennyPangeti – Pangeti is a broadcast journalist with Zimpapers Harare talk radio station CapitalkFM
- @MoeChanda – A broadcast journalist with ZBC